Let’s face it: Florida roads, especially here in Tampa, can get busy. With so many distractions on the road, it may be difficult to watch out for hazards and to take heed of other motorists. One group of motorists, though, is particularly prone to accidents at the hands of unaware drivers: motorcyclists.
Despite Florida’s popularity among motorcyclists for it’s sunny weather and warm climate, the state’s motorcycle safety record remains troubling. According to 2014 report from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FDHSMV), 18% of traffic accidents resulting in fatalities in 2013 involved motorcyclists.
Motorcycle Safety: What are the Issues?
So is motorcycle safety such a problem in Florida? Most likely, it is a combination of factors:
- State of Florida – Part of the blame could lay with the state of Florida itself for not including apt motorcycle safety requirements in transportation infrastructure.
- Car/Truck Drivers – This may be the largest and most frequent group contributing to motorcycle safety issues. Often, in these accidents, motorists simply do not see the motorcyclist.
- Motorcyclists – For their part, some motorcyclists do not comply with state safety regulations for motorcyclists, which can result in unavoidable accidents.
Improving Motorcycle Safety
Drivers share the road with thousands of motorcyclists every day. As motorcyclists are licensed and insured, they are protected under the same rights as any other motorist on the road. There are steps that everyone can take to improve the safety of motorcyclists on the road.
Here are a few things for drivers and motorcyclists to be aware of to ensure motorcycle safety:
- Drivers should stay alert at all times. Always avoid drowsy driving.
- Before pulling out of driveways or into intersections, check at least twice for motorcyclists
- Double-check blind spots before changing lanes
- Motorcyclists should wear appropriate safety gear: helmet, reflective gear, road-rash protection, etc.
Wolfe Law Tampa is committed to ensuring personal injury protection for all of our clients. If you have been injured in result of a motorcycle accident or believe you have been affected by motorcycle safety negligence, contact us today.